Wednesday, December 10, 2008

LandSpeedRecord and Girls Like Cigarettes

WAY back in the day, music was my life. The way bikes were my life (until earlier this year).

That meant that somebody gave me a bass guitar and I learned how to play it. And the drums. And the guitar. And write and arrange music. And record music. And play shows and make flyers and stuff.

This started in middle school and ended sometime in college. When I got my first real mtn bike. Hmm...

So back in the day, my buddy Joe lived not too far from me and he had a band and a basement. I spent a lot of time there. I was a roadie. I sat in every now and then. I went to shows with them and carried stuff. I watched the shows up close, sang the lyrics, made jokes and had a great time. Shawn organized some of the shows and I helped him as much as I could. This was the original internet: rock and roll shows with bad flyers that were photocopied and handed around. Lots of phone calls were made (from home!) and people came to shows.

So Joe needed a drummer. Remember Joe? I knew that Marc was a drummer and the two of them made great music with random guitarists and covered Pixies songs (when the songs were new!) and Jane's Addiction songs too. This was before the Music Revolution of the early 1990s. Bad music was everywhere.

Jeebus this is going nowhere...

Joe is now in NYC in GLC (above right). He's in the middle. He's very serious. On the left, I think that's Marc with his hand to his head... heh...

Joe and Marc made music and I was around a lot. Joe's new band doesn't really grab me. They are great, sure, but just not my style. People like them, Joe is happy and that's all that matters. Marc's band I really like. He wouldn't ever say this but I think they are like polished Fugazi. I'm not sure that's by design but they really rock. It's fun enough, loud enough, angry enough... If you don't like them, I hate you.

Hate is a strong word. Maybe I just won't give you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but I don't hate you... much...

Listen to Marc's band here. It's ok for work, but not super loud.
Listen to Joe's band here. They have a show in B-more on the 13th. Sonar. Small chance I make it, it's a busy weekend. Maybe I'll get Joel to go and get him in a fight... That would be funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter