Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Susan's Rememberance of Adam Lockard

Susan posted this to Pat's blog but I thought I'd share...
=================================================

“Pssst, Michael.”
“Yeah”
“Um, there’s this boy riding his bike on the tables outside.”
“Yeah”
“No, I mean he’s riding over them, across them, balancing between”
“Yeah, that’s the kid Adam I just hired”

And from that moment on I was smitten. It was thrilling and terrifying to watch him ride. I loved the confidence in his face. He made it look so easy. But the mother in me wanted to make him stop b/c I didn’t want to see him get hurt.

Adam was the very first person to call me Mrs. Klasmeier. I mean in the serious, like that’s what you call adults kinda way. Needless to say I suggested Susan, but he continued to call me Mrs. I think b/c he knew it made me feel old:)

I remember one time the City Bikes boys all went for a ride out at Patapsco. And they all came back muddy. And all my white towles were brown after they showered. I asked Michael – weren’t they supposed to come out of the shower clean? He blamed Adam knowing I wouldn’t say anything cause he was just a kid. The other guys (adults) should know better – right?

Around the table they all sat. It wasn’t the first or the last time I cooked for a hungry bunch of mountain bikers. And in the the standard tradition I offered everyone a beer. Jesse? Michael? Pat? Adam? His eyes widened. Everyone laughed. “Susan he’s like 17″ I was mildly embarrassed but come on I was in my early 30’s. Teenagers were not common in my house. At that time, I had a three year old daughter and a son who was a few months old.

I asked him if he was driving. He was not. So he was allowed one beer and I gave him some gum afterwards. Afer reading Michael’s blog post, I am beginning to think the Klasmeier’s were not a very good influence on the boy. A beer at our house a beer up at the white tail race. . .
I remember driving up for that race. I had packed a bunch of food for my kids. I think Adam ate most of it. “I love moms” was all he said as I continued to offer him fruit, granola, some crackers, PB&J sandwiches, juice, etc.

I’ll never forget him. Always very courteous to me. Always very nice to my children. And just an all around cool guy. Did I mention his mad bike skills? Keep on ridin’ Adam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter