Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Love Fugazi

There's no way around it. Top five favorite band of all time. Here's a great article from City Paper about Joe Lally. If you don't know who that is, it's worth a look.

Damn I love Fugazi. It was 1989 and I was in the back seat of Punga's (che)vette and he pops in this tape and Waiting Room comes on. Screw Minor Threat, this was IT! $5 shows in DC, $10 cds, punk rock ethos perfected. I saw them the first time at a Positive Force DC show at a church on 16th St (I think). There is a story that occasionally gets brought up by the Klasmeier parents about the night I went to my first Fugazi show in DC at age 14. June 1990, I think. Let's just say that it involved rappelling out a window and RUNNING to the getaway car. I wasn't allowedto go to DC. It's 'dangerous' or whatever. Why do so many scared people live in the 'burbs?

But I digress. Go out and buy 13 Songs if you aren't already a Fugazi fan. Beware: it's good.

Pics courtesy (AKA used without permission) of the Washington City Paper. I think the pic on the left is from Ft Reno Park but it's hard to know.

Oh yeah, you should check out Dischord records. Good DC music. Let's hear it for the locals, eh?

Henry Rollins is another DC boy from the punk rock scene. At least the punk rock scene that I remember. Angry man. Black Flag, Rollins Band, movies, etc. Funny spoken word stuff from the 1990s. My favorite quote from his spoken word stuff was 'three things you should never pay for: drugs. You should never pay for drugs. Drugs, sex and office supplies.'

Here is all of the stuff that he has done. My favorite is when he played a cop in that stupid Charlie Sheen movie. Sure, you are asking 'Which stupid Charlie Sheen movie.' You are on your own... There's little Henry on the right. Isn't he cute?

6 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The articles (and photos) are from the Washington City Paper, not the Washington Post. :)

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Big Daddy Mike said...

Crap. Sloppy.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger gwadzilla said...

who is your copy editor?

the City Paper Copy Editor?

sloppy

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger gwadzilla said...

DC Rocks!

Fort Reno needs a Cross Race

only problem....

the cross season in the Mid-Atlantic is now all booked up

so
there really is very little need for any more cross races in the fall

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger gwadzilla said...

http://www.myspace.com/henryrollins

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Big Daddy Mike said...

Damn, Joel. We need to get you another jobby-job!

Fort Reno 'cross! Let's do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter