Sunday, January 22, 2006

That time of the year, dammit...

It's almost February. Damn. I checked out Jeremiah Bishop's site while searching for races for 2006. It's my first foray into getting back into pre-life shape... you know, before the kids, the wife, driving to work. If I can get in some type of shape for racing while not killing myself (or kids, wife or house), it would be good. I've got a list of races at the end of this post. Catch up with me if you have any other recommendations. Not on the list is TransWales. The Jury (read: Susan) is still out on that one. I'm looking at these races in April thinking about what it really takes to do well in them and I just can't imagine lining up, ready to race that soon.

The truth is that I won't be ready to race but I'll go out there anyway because all I want is to see friends, ride bikes as fast as I can and try to pass a few people. Michaux is not an easy course and I do well on technical courses so that's good for me. One thing I've gotten good at in my old age is pacing myself. I usually pace myself into the middle of the Sport class and then wonder what the Hell I was thinking slowing down that much but whatever... If I can smile at the end, it was all worth it. The bike commuting should help, as long as I can find time to do it, right?

This great weather we've had in January has really made it hard to not ride although the variable health of the entire family has made it hard to do anything. That and JRock hasn't slept all the way through the night two nights in a row since Nov 1.

The shop is humming along, for January. The new carbon Sworks Stumpjumpers will be here at the end of February. I'll finally have a mtn bike with gears again.

Speaking of which, did I mention that I got my copy of the Stumpjumper book? It's signed by Ned Overend and Mike Sinyard. I'm sure I'm one of a few hundred dealers who got it, but I'll be getting Ned to write a damn novel in there when I see him in DC in March. Talk about a class act...

Michaux Maximus – Gettysburgh, PA April 23
Greenbriar Challenge
, Maryland
State Championship – Frederick, MD April 30
12 Hours of Lodi Farm – Fredericksburg, VA May 13-14
Masanutten HooHa! - VA, June 4
24 Hours of Big Bear – Hazelton, WV June 10-11
Curse of Dark Hollow – Gettysburgh, PA July 23
Wilderness 101 – Coburn, PA July 29
Cranky Monkey Mountain Bike Series – Annondale, VA June 25, July 30
Cranky Monkey Mountain Bike Series – Fairfax Station, VA Aug 13
Shenandoah
Mountain 100 – Harrisonburg, VA September 3
Terror of Teaberry – Gettysburgh, PA Sept 24

2 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger gwadzilla said...

looks like a hearty race schedule!

should be fun

I expect to see you at a few of those events

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute kids. Can Emma ride yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter