Saturday, March 31, 2007

Music

Music is such a huge part of my life and I never post about it. I have lived, like many of you, with a running soundtrack. Dave Matthews, 311, Sex Pistols, Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Billie Holiday, Cake, Charlie Mingus, The Clash, The Cult, The Cure, Metallica, De La Soul, Descendants,U2, Joy Division, Miles Davis, Digable Planets, Massive Attack, Janes Addiction, Rage, Kyuss, Hendrix, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Specials, Steely Dan, Ramones, Sly Stone, Smiths, Johnny Cash, Beatles... I loves me some music. This stuff created me as much as anything else I went through in my formative years.

Since my 'heavy consumer' years of spending half of every paycheck on cds, I have tried to branch out. Recently, I started listening to Queens of the Stone Age (new Kyuss), Arcade Fire, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, KT Tunstall, Jeff Buckley, Thievery Coporation, Yo La Tengo... Some stuff I heard of years ago and was just too busy with other stuff to get into. Tom Waits, Stereolab, Gorillaz, John Legend, Amerie, Hooverphonic, Baby Mammoth, Death Cab for Cutie, Guster, Oysterhead, Pink Martini, Buzzcocks... If you don't listen to ALL of these bands, you should. I've gots me a pretty diverse musical interest so I KNOW there is something here you haven't heard and should check out. I've got over 700 albums (which ain't THAT much) in my Winamp and I am constantly re-discovering stuff.

I am always asking people about bands they are listening to or new music they are into and it's actually quite rare that people have anything NEW they are listening to. Martin is one of the few people that regularly have new music to foist on me. Michael is another one. Once we reach our 20s, a lot of people have their musical stuff set. It's hard to keep moving forward and I'm in my 30s. I'm constantly looking for new music so if you have ideas and input, PLEASE send it along.

Get out there and find some new music you like. Services like Pandora help you figure out what you like and they play what they THINK you'll like as well. That's pretty cool.

3 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger riderx said...

Mike -
There is not excuse for mentioning Dave Matthews and the Dead Kennedys in the same sentence. Unless it is something like: "The original Dead Kennedys put aside their differences for one night to reunite and kick the Dave Matthews band's asses" :D

OK, things worth checking out based on what you posted:
Jellow Biafro and the Melvins: as close to the old DK that you can get these days

Clutch - new album, old albums, any of their stuff. Local boys that have been around for a while.

New Tom Waits 3 CD set. Wow.

Sonic Youth. Need recommendations? Too many to list, email me.

A few more: Black Keys; Ben Harper; Jon Spencer Blues Explosion; PJ Harvey; Bazooka; Medeski, Martin and Wood; Morcheeba; Sleater-Kinney; The Turbo ACs; Wanda Jackson; The Yuppie Pricks; Jon Butler Trio

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger riderx said...

RE: Jellow Biafro and the Melvins

Just to be clear, not talking about the old stuff. Jello and the Melvins up and put out two albums together. You can also find a bunch of free MP3s on the AT site, dig around there.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Big Daddy Mike said...

Smartass. I said I was diverse!

I've got Melvins, Clutch (college), Tom Waits, Sonic Youth (way back), black keys, PJ, MMW... I'll check out the rest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter